Friday 8 February 2013

My little chess champion

 
Watch this space for the photo I will upload as soon as I get my rubbish, slightly lazy and none technological butt in gear. - here it is

We have always wanted Aidan to be good at something, anything, we are not fussy we would accept pretty much anything. In fact I don't actually care a huge amount if he is good at it, I think that's the wrong word.

Maybe it would be better to say that we have always wanted him to have some passion, enthusiasm and motivation with something. Don't get me wrong we are blessed, he is compassionate, great with his siblings, clever, and certainly popular. He just has never had any real passion behind anything he has ever done. Over the years he has enjoyed things, in fact a lot of things, but he has never got that idea of wanting to work hard to get better at something.

Anyway last week end off he trotted to the Cubs district chess tournament, we dropped the girls at a party, and Ali suggested that we should at least go back for the prize giving. We almost didn't bother just assuming that Aidan would not stand a chance.

He is good at chess, but he is not a natural like some kids, it does not help that he insists on talking constantly, and that talking usually consists of him telling his opponent what his next moves will be and why. I know nothing about chess, but I am sure this is not a great tactic to take.

We were stood there listening to the speech, and what a surprise to find that Aidan had won the over 9 year olds section. I don't think Ali or I have won a trophy in our lives, and we have certainly never had one in our house, so I have to say that the trophy is a welcome guest.

Aidan next has a tournament at County level, I know he will try hard, and we are so proud of him. Above all its exciting that he is enjoying chess, wanting to try hard, and actually seeing that its possible for himself to improve through hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment