Tuesday 11 September 2012

OT

I have to admit that I was very sceptical about the OTs input and her ability to actually make a difference to Aidan. See what a huge grump I am.

Even after his appointment with the Paediatrician I still thought that his coordination issues were very minor, and wondered if it was worth the effort to address them.

Well roll on sports day and having to go through one of the most painful and proud moments of my life. Imagine the scene of about 15 children lined up to start a skipping race.....

And they head off, with four laps to do, Aidan immediately struggles to hold the rope, and has just got his first skip in as the others are finishing their second lap. He is about 3 or 4 skips into the race when all the rest of the field have finished. My heart is breaking for him, and yet he does not stop, he does not falter, he keeps going.

The other parents and kids get bored, stop clapping and head off to chat amongst themselves. Leaving Aidan skipping his heart out alone in the middle of a track with a very long way still to go.

There I am cheering and clapping him with all my might, with tears in my eyes and I desire to just run up and cuddle him till all his problems go away. Then I notice that his class teacher ( who was great)  is the only other person who is still clapping and pushing him on.

It felt so lonely to be stood there and then his teacher shouted something and got the parents attention back to help clap him over the finish line.

Now I know that skipping is not something that matters in life, but it illustrated that when he has no diversion tactics in place to hide his problems that he is just so vulnerable.

The problems he has with coordination extend beyond skipping, and the OT headed into school to assess him and to write up a programme to help him.

I can't talk for all OTs but she rocks, she clearly cares and very clearly wants to make a difference to Aidan. Anyone who actually makes even a tiny bit of effort to help him is forever in my good books.

She has assessed him, given us fine and gross motor skills programmes, made suggestions to every query I have ever made, calls me after every session, writes loads of reports and has come into school to teach me and his TA how to do his therapy.

So we now have a tool box full of various everyday items for him to use, and lots of other excercises to try to fit into our day. I won't lie some days we just don't get time to do any therapy, but I think every little helps, so we really do try our best.





No comments:

Post a Comment