Sunday 2 December 2012

Diagnosis?????

I have always hated labels, and I 100% believe that a child will live up ( or down) to the expectations you have of them. In particular I feel my blood boiling when I hear an adult jump in to explain that a child is shy or a fussy eater, err yes they have repeatedly heard an adult refer to them in those terms, so they start to take that into their own sense of identity.

However conversely I have always been a huge fan of having conditions diagnosed, and then being able to give the child the best support possible. I certainly did not jump for joy when Aidan was diagnosed, I am not sure how I felt, and I think most mums experience a mixture of feelings upon hearing those words.

Looking back I am now glad that we know more about how he sees the world, and that he is not just a lazy little toad. I am even more glad that we have been able to find and give him so much support. I know he is still behind, but I am very aware that without the diagnosis he would be in a completely different situation, and probably heading towards a special school.

So is a diagnosis a good or bad thing?????

No comments:

Post a Comment